The Birmingham Quran manuscript

Hi all,

I saw in the news a few months back about an old Quran manuscript that was found at the University of Birmingham and I was really excited as they news mentioned it could be from the Prophet Muhammad's time. So, when I heard that they were going to display the manuscript at the University of Birmingham (so close to Coventry, but I still have to take 2 trains to get there), I had to go there and see it for myself. To get there, I took the train from Canley to Birmingham New Street and then changed train to University. The exhibition hall is about 10minutes from the University train station.



Here are some photos of the manuscript, photos have to be taken without flash to protect the manuscript.


The page on the right contains Surah Kahfi verses 23-31, while the pages on the left contain Surah Maryam verses 91-98 (above the red line) and Surah Taha verses 1-13 (below the red line). So the red line on the left page marks the end of Surah Maryam and the start of Surah Taha.


The carbon dating of the parchment was dated back between 568 and 645. Whoever wrote these verses is believed to be alive during Prophet Mohamad's time and may have heard his preach personally. Isn't that amazing? 

I was a bit emotional when I saw these manuscripts. To be able to witness part of the Quran written by someone who could have heard the prophet's preach, it was mind-blowing. So, if you're in the UK especially in areas surrounding Birmingham; I would really recommend paying this exhibition a visit at Bramall Music Building, University of Birmingham with an entrance fee of £3.

The display is currently ongoing until 25th of October 2015.

Till then~

Comments